Our Chinese New Year edition of Feng Shui Tips comes to us from UK based practitioner Aroon Ajmera and is sure to delight ladies and metrosexual guys alike as it focuses on that all important accessory, the handbag.
Many thanks to Aroon for sharing this wonderful advice with our readers and we look forward to publishing many more articles from him in the future.
The subject is common enough to be important, as the majority of females have handbags and there are indeed a lot of jokes about them. In fact handbags have been around for centuries and originally were pouches which were carried around the waist by both sexes. Later they became purses carried by fashionable women and now of course they serve both a practical and fashionable purpose for most women.
My first advice would be to project in your mind the bag that is most suitable for your purpose i.e. if you need a work-bag, going out to the cinema bag, have fun bag or a formal evening party bag. Only then can you apply the appropriate Feng Shui principles.
The most important part of Feng Shui for your handbag is to improve the energy surrounding your bag. To do this you should observe the following:
1. Choose the right colour
Each colour has a specific meaning and corresponds with the five elements. Feng Shui says that choosing the correct colour can improve your energy levels. Therefore select a colour that is supportive of you and not the one you need to avoid as per your birth sign or horoscope.
Colours: • Red or any shade of red denotes Fire • Green or any shade of green denotes Wood • Yellow, beige and cream represents Earth • Black or blue represents Water • White, gold or silver signifies Metal
Make sure your bag colour matches or complements the colour of your outfit and also possibly your shoes for co-ordination and harmony if you are projecting your personality.
Pick the right size and shape. A work of art has to be decorative whereas a dishwasher has to be functional. A handbag however should be both decorative and functional.
Make sure your bag fits you just right. Carrying around a bag that’s too big is a burden and can drain your energy levels. Having a bag that is too small and cannot fit the necessities is stressful and not functional; it also drains your energy. Go for bags that are shallow rather than deep, so that you can easily find what you need and are not tempted to carry around things you do not need (called clutter) just because you have the space.
2. Organize the inside of your bag:
The level of organization (or dis-organization) inside your handbag can affect your energy levels. The three basic items in your bag should be your wallet, mobile phone and keys. Make sure you have proper compartments for these items to access them efficiently and get rid of the clutter. In other words take any unnecessary items out of your bag!
Whether we look at this as a case study or otherwise; in general handbags are those extra items which were never needed when we lived natural and harmonized lives. But this is not necessarily the case in this day and age and their function is virtually like an extension of our self.
In other words a handbag can add what we miss in ourselves with our own inner eye. Whoever misses security will have items to this effect; those missing beauty will have things to powder the nose; others may lack self–confidence or even their own unique companion. Everything springs from our own inner perception of who we are.
4. Please remember to …
- Ensure that your wallet does not have any unnecessary papers. See that you have your business cards, credit cards, cash, travel pass, happy pictures of your loved ones to lift your spirits and a symbolic photo of your favorite deity like Ganesh or Sai Baba for inner security.
- In the change pocket of your wallet, keep three Chinese coins tied with red ribbon for a feeling of abundance and attracting prosperity all the time (based on our belief system).
- Ensure the phone battery is adequately charged to get you through the day (for communication fears) and that you have a little crystal disc attached to the mobile phone to protect you from the electromagnetic field emissions.
- The key ring should not have any unnecessary keys.
- Crystals are wonderful companions for clarity of thinking so keep a small, white or clear quartz crystal in your handbag to help you remain focused during the day. Alternatively you can keep a raw crystal called Rhodochrocite for enhanced intuition.
- A number of practical items in a handbag like a small Swiss army knife, pen, mirror, glasses and a couple of other items of personal nature can also be kept in the handbag. These little items are not considered clutter and they can come in handy.
5. Feng Shui works for artistic designers of handbags:
A number of designers in the West are now producing handbags which incorporate some Feng Shui principles, as well as collage works combining elements such as Chinese prayers, paper and antique kimono fabric.
Additional detailing on individual handbags may also include lucky (play) money sewn in to attract more (real) money and specially coloured linings chosen for their Feng Shui elemental meanings; like red is for fame and reputation whilst black represents professional success.
The care that goes into crafting these handbags with Feng Shui elements may or may not bring a sense of emotional security to their bearers. Carrying such unique handbags around is definitely going to attract something says one of the designers, although it may not necessarily be exactly what you anticipate!
Some handbag styles will come and go as current fashion dictates, but the classic designs of Dior, Gucci and Hermes have stood the test of time and will probably be with us for many years to come.
Whichever handbag you choose for yourself – essentially I believe the idea is that we personalise them and in so doing, make it lucky.