This year the Lunar New Year falls on the 10th of February, but the shift of annual energies is always based on the Hsia or Chinese Solar calendar and thus the Year of the Water Snake commenced on the 4th of February at 12:31 am local time. These Feng Shui energies are already well covered by other Masters in this issue of Feng Shui Today, so I will focus instead on Welcoming the God of Wealth.Chinese New Year or Chun Jie (meaning Spring Festival) starts from the first day of the lunar calendar and lasts for 15 days.
This festival signifies a fresh start in our life and is deeply rooted in the Chinese culture. Celebrations and traditions take place with much fanfare and include dragons, fireworks and cleaning house. These traditions are very important and ensure that any negative energy from the previous year is cleared away and the fresh, vital energy of the New Year is able to circulate throughout our homes and businesses.Living in Singapore over the past few years has allowed me to participate in some of the wonderful traditions and customs that surround the Chinese New Year and to appreciate the benefits of receiving the auspicious energies that arrive at these times. For this I thank my teacher and mentor, Grand Master Vincent Koh.
Traditionally you can visit a temple to pay your respects and partake in the festivities and indeed Grand Master Vincent Koh will be welcoming Cai Shen at the Balestier Temple in Singapore at 11.00 pm on the 9th of February. Alternately you can also welcome this auspicious influence at home and if the latter is your preferred option then all you need do is follow these steps:
- Clean your home, paying particular attention to all the main Qi openings (windows and doors) that are located in the West, as this is the direction that Cai Shen is arriving from this year. Start at the main entrance and work your way around in a clockwise direction. (Please note that this type of spring cleaning is best done during auspicious times and days leading up to the Lunar New Year Eve and a list of these is usually available from most reputable Masters)
- Ideally kaffir lime juice and leaves should be placed into your bucket of water for extra cleansing properties, but this is up to you. Alternately you can also use a few drops of Kaffir Lime Essential Oil
- Open all West facing windows or doors in order to receive the auspicious Qi into your home
- Light 3 tea light candles and place them in the West sector of your home. Please do so safely and do not leave them unattended
- At 11.00 pm LST or midnight DST stand (or sit) next to the window or in the door way and face towards the West
- Inhale the prosperous influences, welcome them into your home and visualize the positive goals you wish to achieve this year in both your professional and personal life
- Alternatively you can burn 3 sticks of incense in the West Sector of your home, bow three times and sincerely pray for well wishes whilst inviting Cai Shen to come into your home